Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's Vidalia Onion Time! They are SOOOOO Sweet

Every year at this time (month of May)  I buy bags of Vidalia onions. They are the most delicious onion you'll ever eat.  You can get Vidalia onions at Costco. I paid $7.49 for a 10 pound bag.  You can probably get them at your favorite grocery store too but I'm guessing the bags at Costco might be cheaper. They are grown in Georgia and ship  from mid April to early Fall 

  So we can enjoy them year round I cut them up into small pieces and freeze them.(most of the time I have to "hide" the onions in the recipes I make so the kids don't know there in there, hence the small pieces)  I love being able to go out to the freezer and get more onions when I need them. They will make all your favorite recipes even that much better.  (Instead of cutting all these bags of onions by hand, I actually use my food processor--make it so much faster) 

You can get Vidalia onions at Costco. I paid $7.49 for a 10 pound bag.  You can probably get them at your favorite grocery store too but I'm guessing the bags at Costco are cheaper.

From the Vidalia Onion Web site: 
"During the tough days of the Great Depression, farmers had high hopes of a new cash crop. These hard-working men had grown everything from corn to cotton in Georgia’s sandy soil, and onions seemed to hold some promise of better profits.Imagine their surprise and concern when what grew was not an instant money-maker but a strange onion that wasn’t hot"


Soon after I bought the Vidalia onions I decided to make up some onion rings. I didn't have a recipe I loved so I went to the internet and found the most delicious recipe for onion rings we've ever tried.  This recipe combined with the Vidalia onions was a hit!  Click HERE to get it for yourself. (since I've found this fabulous recipe I will be cutting up some of  my onions for onion rings and freezing them that way. Then I can just pull out a bag of pre-cut onion rings, let them thaw and then proceed with the recipe. 

Here's some fun facts about Vidalia onions. To find out more Information about this "sweet" onion Click Here to go to their web site. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment